Saturday, March 2, 2019

Worry No More


I’m turning 65 in a few, too short days.
Another of those seeming inevitable happenings,
a lesson in the passing of time,
the stages of life,
and, oh yes,
a reminder of my begrudging lack of control.

I stand at the intersection of, “I don’t want to die”
and the certainty that, “I don’t want to live forever.”
You know, trying to choose between my fears of pain
or that dwindling “quality of life” business.

One thing I ask. And I hope it’s not too much.
If there is any possibility,
please, don’t let death have its way
while in the midst of this political sewer.
I mean I’ve got kids and grandkids.
And I’d like to think I could have the peace
of leaving them in a better place,
with a whisper of hope,
when I say that last goodbye
and cross over to that place
where I hope to worry no more.

February 2019

Read at SpeakEasy 23 - March 2, 2019





3 comments: