Thursday, January 31, 2013

Oregon my Oregon

You want to talk about Oregon?  I’m glad you asked.

Oh, you didn’t ask.

Well, let me tell you anyway. Oregon, the thirty-ninth state, entered the Union on February 14, 1859, shortly before the start of the Civil War. Remember it was the “Oregon Trail” that drew settlers west to the “Oregon Territory.” And it was the Oregon Territory that grew out of that great American adventure, the journey of Lewis and Clark. And it was the land sought after by both British and American business interests and political forces.*  And it was where, like my father, I was born...

You can read the rest of this piece by following this link to catapult magazine: https://www.catapultmagazine.com/the-state-im-in/article/oregon-my-oregon 

No comments:

Post a Comment