Thursday, August 27, 2009

Thanks for waiting

Dear mom and dad,
Thanks for waiting
Until I was “grown”
To get divorced

Not that it was easy
To watch my family implode
Like some distant star
Spiraling toward the horizon
And its inevitable demise

I’m thankful I avoided the carnage
Of being stretched to despair
So you could move on and do
What was “best” for you

No shuttling between houses
Yet never being home
On a schedule that
Few adults could manage
Or better yet, endure

No wondering if gifts were
Given in love
Or as rival acts of one-upmanship

No pretending not to hear the
Whispered warfare
Or the insinuations from the
Unseen member of a phone conversation

I’m so grateful I avoided the
Innumerable counseling sessions
To explore my feelings
While ultimately being manipulated
To believe
That things are better “this way”

I can’t say I’m happy
About the way our family
Turned out, but
Thanks for waiting

3 comments:

  1. watch my family implode
    Like some distant star

    Wonderful, sad image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Excellent points, yet poetically rendered.

    ReplyDelete